Do you love trekking but can never rely on your phone’s battery or its GPS because of poor signals? If so, then it is time to be a little old school and buy yourself a good, reliable surviving compass that can be your partner on the next trip.
A compass will be the much-needed sense of direction when on an adventure and it is so handy that you can easily carry it with you. If you are serious about being safe in the wilderness, then you need to take a look at the best survival compass choices below!
- 1 Picking the Best Survival Compass – Buying Guide
- 2 Reviews of the Best Surviving Compasses of 2016
- 3 Cammenga Phosphorescent Lensatic Survival Compass
- 4 Coleman Outdoors Compass with LED Light
- 5 AUFO Tactical Professional Multifunction Military Army Metal Sighting W/Inclinometer Camping and Hiking Waterproof Compass
- 6 PPbean Classic Pocket Style Camping Compass
- 7 Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Compass
- 8 Final Thoughts – Know Your Direction
Types of Outdoor Compasses
- Basic Compass: This one is a simple type which gives direction sense and can be used for navigation by hikers.
- Advanced Compass: Includes additional features such as signaling mirror, magnifier, etc. that help in survival.
- Accessory Compass: Smaller, compact compasses that can be found on watches, give basic direction but not very accurate.
- Watch Compass: Some newer tactical watches are actually outfitted with compasses built in.
Picking the Best Survival Compass – Buying Guide
If you are a nature enthusiast then you must keep a map and a compass with you at all times. Considering the various models of compasses available in the market, choosing the best one for you can be quite a challenge. But don’t fret, I have got you covered and we’ll briefly look at the specific features you must look at to make an ideal purchase.
- Durability: If want a compass that doesn’t desert you in your time of need, then closely look at the material before buying. It should be sturdy and of course waterproof. If it is made of metal then it is ideal but even good quality polymers can last a long time.
- Size: The size of the compass is very important because you don’t want one that becomes a burden. Look for one that either fits your pocket or has a lanyard.
- Luminous Display: Some compasses come with a luminous dial which is really beneficial for navigating at night. Also, check whether it is battery or light powered.
Reviews of the Best Surviving Compasses of 2016
Because there are so many different types of wilderness compasses on the market, and each compass has a different set of functions. There are some that would be better suited for different people. That being said, below you will see a handful of survival compass reviews. Each of these compasses are all quality, but they are all slightly different. Hopefully with this range of options, you will find a compass that is perfect for you and your needs!
Cammenga Phosphorescent Lensatic Survival Compass
Topping our list for the best survival compass is this cool, extremely handy compass which is extremely accurate and would easily fit within your budget. The best part about this compass is that it comes with a belt which can be worn around the waist and the compass gets attached to it. This is extremely convenient, especially when you are walking through a rocky terrain and need to check for directions repeatedly. Additionally, a pouch is also provided with it, which makes it easy to carry.
This compass is waterproof, so it is suitable for all types of weather conditions. Also, in order stabilize the motion of the turning dial, it uses a copper shell in place of a fluid so that it can be used even in extreme temperatures. This compass is sturdy and light at the same time and is great value for money. So, if you are planning to go on a hiking trip anytime soon, you must give this incredible compass a try.
Coleman Outdoors Compass with LED Light
If you are not looking for too much accuracy and want a regular compass which gives direction then this compass from Coleman is a good option. The dial of the compass has eight direction points and it is also fitted with a rotating bezel which has degree marks on it for better navigation. In case you are traveling at the time, it has an LED backlight which can be switched on using a push button.
Two coin-cell batteries are needed for the LED to work and are already included in the package. The compass is filled with a liquid so it is quite quick and its design is such that it can be easily held. In case you want to keep your hands free, then it can also be worn around the neck as it comes with an attached lanyard.
AUFO Tactical Professional Multifunction Military Army Metal Sighting W/Inclinometer Camping and Hiking Waterproof Compass
If you want a really fancy compass with a lot of additional features and maximum accuracy then you should have a look at this one. This military army compass comes with a magnifying viewer and a reference table that allow the user to easily get an idea of distance and scope. The compass is floating type with a 360˚ scale and even the dial rotates. A lanyard and a pouch are also included in the package for convenience while traveling.
Its most fascinating feature is the luminous display that works on solar power, so if you keep it in the sun for 3-4 hours before venturing out, then it will provide you light in the dark. The construction is of heavy duty meta,l so if you care to invest in this compass, then it will surely last you a long time.
PPbean Classic Pocket Style Camping Compass
If you want a really old-school, vintage looking compass then this one fits the bill perfectly. Its shell is made of refined copper which gives it a very classy look. Its size is very appropriate, it is neither very large nor small. It has a movable bezel that provides 360-degree direction angles. It is one of the cheapest compasses on the entire market yet it is quite accurate and reliable.
It is light and looks more like a pocket watch so you can carry it quite easily without any trouble. It has a small ring attached to its body where a finger can be inserted which makes it really handy. Definitely one of better options among the low-price range compasses. So, in case you are buying a compass for the first time, then this one can be a good option.
Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Compass
If you are Bear Grylls fan then we have a compass especially for you. This one is suitable for all sorts of adventures and trips from trekking to hiking, hunting to backpacking. Its body is made of plastic which makes it quite durable and its design is rugged and reliable.
This compass has been field-tested so you needn’t worry about the accuracy at all. It is quite lightweight and has a compact design which makes it ideal while traveling. It has an attached lanyard and a zipper which makes it all the more handy and convenient. It is reasonably price and looking at all its features, it is worth the money.
Final Thoughts – Know Your Direction
In this review, I look at some great options for the best survival compass available and also included their specific details. A compass will provide you with direction and orientation and is a must for every traveler. So, it is time for you to invest in a good one for yourself.